Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    flowerchild

My '95 Toyota Celica won't start...(revised)?

I have a 1995 Toyota Celica with 210k miles on it. (I know, she's a trooper!) It was my mom's before she gave it to me and I've been drving it for a little over a year now. I've had small problems here and there with it but this is the first time it just won't start.

We know it's not the battery because the lights still come on and my radio still works. We know it's not the starter because it doesn't make any noise at all when I turn the key. And it's not the air-intake filter because we just replaced it.

What is the problem?
    and
    Should I spend the money to have it fixed or should I just save up for a new car?

P.S. It is NOT the battery because, not only did we just clean it, but we checked the connections and it is fully charged. I could probably sit in my car flashing my lights and blasting my radio for hours. Also, I have a full tank of gas. The engine does not turn over whatsoever. My grandfather is working on the solenoid right now. Could that be the problem?

Oh and I went on a road trip up the coast over the weekend (in a different car) so it just sat there for like 4 days in the cold (so cal cold--gets to be as low as 40 at night). Could the cold or lack of activity have something to do with it?

....and I'm not going to beat anything on my car with a hammer....

deville1981
    Is it a standard? If so push start it, if it starts with a push you can narrow it down from there. You say the starter is making no noise at all?

It should make noise so I would check and recheck the starter, grounds and power etc. Could be a bad connection.

I know nothing about solenoids so I could not tell you if that was it.

I would try tapping the starter with a hammer. Don't worry, it wont hurt it.

Please update your post in the additional details when you get it started, I'm curious what it will be.

Good luck

Edit,
    A new starter is not very expensive, especially if you get a re built. Also, the post above mine says if you hear a click when starting it could be solenoid but it could also be the starter itself.

gansta
    have you checked for maybe a fuse? not all cars have fuse for the starter but it might. have you checked the alternator? when you mean your grampa is working on the solenoid what do you mean? is it off the car? was it bad?

Andy
    As i understand it when you turn the key nothing happens the starter doesnt make any noise and the engine will not turn over.
    There could be several reasons A bad or loose ground cable from the engine to the battery,, Not getting power to the starter from the ignition which could be a bad starter rely located in the main fuse block under the hood or the ignition switch could be bad. You can check both of these with one check by testing the power at the small terminal on the starter with a test light or multimeter.check to see if the power is getting to the starter when the key is turned,, If you are getting power the solinoid is a likely culpruit and should be checked by by-passing the solinoid with a jumper wire straight to the hot post on the starter from the hot post on your battery,,if the starter turns then the solinoid is bad if it doesnt then your starter is bad.

Diferrent
    Starter motors can just stop working any time.
    Batteries can also,A battery can have 12v and when put under a load can have 0.
    in what you say that you have tested the battery is that you have put a load tester on it ?
    I hope you grandfather knows all about solenoids.
    Before you go racing of to get a solenoid if that is the problem make sure you get a price on a new starter which can sometimes be cheaper than parts for the repair.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information