See Full Image
The PS3/360 generation lasted quite a long while indeed, perhaps even longer than everyone initially anticipated.
The Xbox 360 launched way back in 2006 and the PS3 came out a year later, and because the new systems didn't arrive until just a few weeks ago, "generational fatigue" was common. Developers and gamers alike complained of it.
I'm positive I saw examples of that on the developer side when reviewing games this year. Some titles were just screaming for more effort, and they were indicative of a design team that might be a little tired with the current hardware limitations. While it's nice to get all familiar with a machine, I'm willing to bet that most developers ultimately enjoy the challenge of learning something new. That's especially true if that "something new" allows them to create bigger and better games.
On the gamer side, a great many complained of being tired with the PS3 and 360. For my part, I could've gone another year (or two) without getting another console; there are plenty of games available for the current-gen systems and I'm always behind, anyway. But not everyone felt this way; a lot of fans were champing at the bit. So, if you were one of those individuals, now that you have the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One (or both), are you appeased? Do you feel excited again about the future of gaming? Or are you thinking that in fact, you too could've waited a bit longer?
Tags: next gen, next generation, next gen consoles, gamers
12/15/2013 10:23:56 PM Ben Dutka
Put this on your webpage or blog:
Email this to a friend
Follow PSX Extreme on Twitter