Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    demonhunter_vergil

Will Sony ban your PS3 if you play pirated DVD movies?

But I haven't done that and I never will...I'm just curious.

Gordon R
    lmao....no...i dont have any orignal dvds and had ps3 since ages ago......only thing i heard people gettin banned is allowing the home launch icon to be displayed on ur ps3...(yes its in ur ps3 already)...and then tryin to log into the servers...instant ban ...no way outta this unless u move house and buy new ps3

kozzm0
    No, there's no way for the firmware to detect that.

The way dvd copy protection works is a simple encryption code called CSS. Copiers usually remove the CSS encryption, but that doesn't mean it's a copy, some original dvd's are unencrypted. Region-coding is a factor, but not as important, and region-free discs are as valid as any other so a dvd-player doesn't consider a region-free (region 0) disc to be a copy, let alone pirated.

What Sony WILL ban your ps3 for is trying to mod it or otherwise play a pirated game. Playstation games have a much more elaborate copy-protection system, there are optical markers on the original game disc that can't be faked. The firmware scans for this and won't play any game disc that isn't on the original disc. If you try to mod a ps3 to bypass this, the firmware will detect your mod and your ps3 will be banned for a EULA violation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information