Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you think homosexuality is genetic, environment, or a choice and why?

An example of an appropriate reason why it's a choice is that homosexuals can get erections when in intimate situations with the opposite sex. It's against my religion is NOT a reason why it's a choice.

NGC 2440
    Probably biological.
    But personally I really don't care as long it is between consenting adults

And just because it may be biological or genetic doesn't mean people will suddenly open up and be nice to those that are gay. Skin color is hereditary/biological but there is also racism. People are not born with religion, but in most areas of the world it is protected as a God-given right

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it's genetic. My Grandma's brother was gay, my sister is bi, and I'm bi.

rickkoshay
    I agree with somegirlok except the choice part. ;]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    all of the above..

genetic in that their brain is wired a little differently. maybe a little higher testerone or estrogen levels at birth or something. something that makes them not feel entirely feminine or masculine according to society.
    enviroment in that childhood interactions etc. play a big part. maybe they grew up playing with children of the opposite sex and can identify themselves as "one of them". or had a sexual experience that was significant. some kind of events that changed their perception of the world.
    choice in that ultimately sexuality IS a choice because it is an ACTION. someone who feels very strong sexual attraction to the same sex for the above reasons can choose to act on these feelings or not. sexual identity is really what you decide to do with yourself.

just my opinion - i'm a woman and i love women... i just don't think i was born to be gay like some gay activists say. i think it is such a great combination of everything. if it is a choice - why can't it be my choice???

Hamueon
    Definately a biological thing. It can't really be environment because you have gays popping up in straight and gay places.
    If you like someone who's the same sex, you can't help it. It's just you.

Erections are made by stimulation, not by the sex of the stimulator. You could get an erection to a person of the same sex, but does that mean you are attracted to them? No.

I think it's biological, though not necessarily genetic.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i believe its genetic, i dont think its a gene u can pass on (ie. if a gay/lesbian couple have a child) but i know its not a choice lol as i am a lesbian, and i dont think its envrionmental either because when i was growing up i was taught to hate gays and that it was wrong and before i hit puberty i actually hated gay people and then when i hit puberty i realized i like girls and i realized it wasnt a choice lol, personally im glad im gay only because if i wasnt id probably be a homophobic ass hole like my parents lol

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well no one knows for sure really. Some say its biological, others say its because of your environment, then there are the people who believe it is a choice. I don't know what causes homosexuality but I do not believe it is a choice.

Just for fun... and the survey says: ?

Lol sorry about that. Have a nice day or night.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I believe it is purely genetic, because a recent Swedish study found that the brain halves of homosexual men and heterosexual women are both similar in size while the halves of heterosexual men and lesbian woman the right side was usually larger. Then in the amygdala there were far more connections found in homosexual people on the right side when compared to left. Heterosexual people were close to the same.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information