Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    TsubasaLuva

Can anyone give me a brief history of instant food or explain to me why some pasta is

"instant"? Yeah, I wonder about weird things. Really the only things I know about instant foods already is that the noodles (maybe?) were invented in Japan, I think NASA may have developed some stuff, TV dinners were invented in the 50s, although airline food similar to it already existed, and Meriwether Lewis tried to dehydrate soup to store it for the Lewis and Clark Expedition, and it didn't taste very good when they added water later (but, to be fair, I don't even think they knew about canning stuff back then. He was really cutting edge.) Also, why is some pasta "instant" while some is not? Even if it's not "instant", you just add the noodles to water. How is it any different?
    I mean, I know fresh pasta is different, but what about the pastas that come in boxes, like Barilla, or Kraft Mac and Cheese? Speaking of which, is Kraft Mac and Cheese considered instant or not? The pasta is dried, and you just add a few things.
    I mean, I prepare Maruchan ramen in the same way I prepare the noodles for Mac and cheese, which is also pretty much the same way I prepare spaghetti (but the spaghetti's in a bigger pot.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Instant pasta is partially cooked and them dehydrated so it cooks faster.

I know that in the war or any war u would have to liek set ur food on a hot rock and let it cook while you were stranded. It was tough eating that instant stuff. After Katrina my relatives there got them and ate them while the power waz out. It was cool but it waS SOO GROSS. Im sorry this didnt answer your question....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been precooked, and the dehydrated. This makes the recooking process much faster. Like instant potatoes...

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only "instant" pasta I know of is couscous (yes, it IS pasta) and maybe ramen noodles. Instant rice has been partially cooked then dehydrated so that it cooks up quicker than regular. Instant oatmeal is just raw oats that have been ground to a finer consistency than it's "old fashioned" rolled oats counterpart. I don't think pasta is considered instant as it takes about 20 minutes to cook after your water has already come to a boil. Same goes for fresh pasta. it may not as long to cook, but you still have to bring your water to a boil first.

Probation Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only "instant" pasta I know of is couscous (yes, it IS pasta) and maybe ramen noodles. Instant rice has been partially cooked then dehydrated so that it cooks up quicker than regular. Instant oatmeal is just raw oats that have been ground to a finer consistency than it's "old fashioned" rolled oats counterpart. I don't think pasta is considered instant as it takes about 20 minutes to cook after your water has already come to a boil. Same goes for fresh pasta. it may not as long to cook, but you still have to bring your water to a boil first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information