Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I want to rebuild my engine in my 1993 Toyota Camry what parts do I need to buy?

This will be the second time this engine has been rebuilt it was about 10 to 12 years ago after 120,000 miles it now has 285,000 miles and still runs like a champ people say buy a new car but I say no I don't have a car note so can you all help me to buy the best parts.

When the engine was rebuilt prior, do you know how much work was done on it? If they did machine work on it and bored the cylinders out, you may not have enough material left to re-bore. In which case you would need to purchase a new or reconditioned block anyway. If you have never done this type of work by your self before I would honestly take it to a shop and have them do the work. There are a lot of measurements and tolerances that need to be met to allow proper operation of the engine. If you don't correctly measure some thing or over look something the engine will never run right and has a higher potential to fail. Remanufactured engines are the most cost effective way to put new life in to an old car. If you comfortable pulling the engine, then the swap will get you running faster then doing the work your self. I rebuild engines all day long and I'll tell you, there is over 1500 dollars in just tools required for rebuilding an engine. Not to mention having to take the head and block some where to have the machine work completed on it. For a one time shot it’s not worth it to do it you’re self. Also getting a remanufactured engine gives you 30,000 or 3 years on the engine. That’s nothing to sneeze at. You don't get that if you do it your self.

When the engine was rebuilt prior, do you know how much work was done on it? If they did machine work on it and bored the cylinders out, you may not have enough material left to re-bore. In which case you would need to purchase a new or reconditioned block anyway. If you have never done this type of work by your self before I would honestly take it to a shop and have them do the work. There are a lot of measurements and tolerances that need to be met to allow proper operation of the engine. If you don't correctly measure some thing or over look something the engine will never run right and has a higher potential to fail. Remanufactured engines are the most cost effective way to put new life in to an old car. If you comfortable pulling the engine, then the swap will get you running faster then doing the work your self. I rebuild engines all day long and I'll tell you, there is over 1500 dollars in just tools required for rebuilding an engine. Not to mention having to take the head and block some where to have the machine work completed on it. For a one time shot it’s not worth it to do it you’re self. Also getting a remanufactured engine gives you 30,000 or 3 years on the engine. That’s nothing to sneeze at. You don't get that if you do it your self.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information