Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The orion belt star ????????/?

Can anyone tell me how far the orion belt star is from earth.

And how far is each star apart.

Do these stars have individual names.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The three bright stars that make up the well known asterism, Orion's belt, are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka. Astronomically speaking, all three of these stars are great distances apart from each other in space.Unfortunately, I'm not so sure in numbers how far each star is apart. I can tell you though the distance of Alnitak from Sol (The Sun) is about 795 light years away. I'm not too dubious about the other two stars. And Sirius is not associated with the Orion constellation. It is associated with the constellation Canis Major. In latin meaning the great or big dog. This constellation can be found a few degrees to the far bottom left below the Orion constellation.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are three stars in Orion's belt and they are at three different distances from Earth - they aren't actually next to each other, they just look like it from our place in the galaxy. Yes, they have names. I think one of them is Mintaka. Try wikipedia; it's all there. Sirius is not in Orion's belt; it's not even in Orion. It's part of Canis Major.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are called Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka

The proximity of the three stars in the sky is an illusion. In fact, the stars at either end of the Belt, Alnitak and Mintaka, are the closest together in space, Alnitak being a little over 800 light-years away from EARTH, and Mintaka 100 light-years farther off. The central star, Alnilam, is much more distant than either of these, lying on the edge of the Orion Molecular Cloud, more than 1,300 light-years from the Sun. Alnilam is also easily the most massive and luminous of the three stars, so that despite its greater distance it still shines more brightly than its two companions.
    Not sure about the distance between eac other
    hope i helped
    xxxx

The names and distances of the three stars that make up Orion's Belt are (from east to west):
    Alnitak 826 ly
    1° 21'
    Alnilam 1325 ly
    1° 23'
    Mintaka 919 ly

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The three bright stars that make up the well known asterism, Orion's belt, are Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka. Astronomically speaking, all three of these stars are great distances apart from each other in space.Unfortunately, I'm not so sure in numbers how far each star is apart. I can tell you though the distance of Alnitak from Sol (The Sun) is about 795 light years away. I'm not too dubious about the other two stars. And Sirius is not associated with the Orion constellation. It is associated with the constellation Canis Major. In latin meaning the great or big dog. This constellation can be found a few degrees to the far bottom left below the Orion constellation.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not know the distances, but the names of the 3 stars are Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do not know the distances, but the names of the 3 stars are Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gravitational distances are equal from Earth.Each star so so together in that case.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information