Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Army Reserves vs. Active Duty?

I'm think of joining the Army but I'm not sure if I should do the Reserves or Active Duty. What are the pros and cons between the two? I know with the Reserves it's like one weekend every month kind of like part time and you can stay closer to your home. With Active Duty you go away and stay on base...

Please give me your real and honest answers. Thanks!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DO NOT JOIN

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it is better to start off as a reservest because if you don't like it than your time is little but if you do really like it than you can go active at anytime.

Haha I like the 'DO NOT JOIN' option the best when considering the Army.

Ok, one of the differences you need to watch for is that the Reserves in your area may not have the MOS you are looking for. Be sure to check that out first.

Other than that, which one sounds better to you? Which do you think will allow you to reach whatever goals you have? Do your research, there are great sites out there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it is better to start off as a reservest because if you don't like it than your time is little but if you do really like it than you can go active at anytime.

I have been both. I guess since I was AD first to me the reserves suck.

Active duty is full time. You get decent benefits, will probably move every 3 years give or take. Deployments are a year long. If you are single you will live in the barracks.
    AD you sometimes get stuck on crappy details till you get some rank.

Reserves is part time. Benefits are limited. You may have to drive far depending where you drill. You 2 weeks a year will be done out of state. Basically you will learn an MOS and rarely do it. Drill weekends all you do is take mandatory Army training classes.

Either one you can expect to deploy for a year.

Active duty is full time. You get decent benefits, will probably move every 3 years give or take. Deployments are a year long. If you are single you will live in the barracks.

Reserves is part time. Benefits are limited. You may have to drive far depending where you drill. You 2 weeks a year will be done out of state. Basically you will learn an MOS and rarely do it. Drill weekends all you do is take mandatory Army training classes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

imported_Christian and not ashamed
    imported_Christian and not ashamed's Avatar
    Haha I like the 'DO NOT JOIN' option the best when considering the Army.

Ok, one of the differences you need to watch for is that the Reserves in your area may not have the MOS you are looking for. Be sure to check that out first.

Other than that, which one sounds better to you? Which do you think will allow you to reach whatever goals you have? Do your research, there are great sites out there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information