Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    cubsfan2123

'01 Ford Focus, My AC has been acting up.?

It quit blowing cold air, and there had been some grinding. I took it in, they said it was low on freon (re-filled). He also said the compressor bearings are loose and starting to go. The AC is blowing cold now, but there is a squeaking when it is on and you can here a clicking. Is the squeaking and clicking coming from the bearings or does it sound like the whole comrpessor is shot?
    Yeah, the shop guy said that it woudnt be worth just changing out the bearings, but that he would wait until they go out all the way because they may go another year, does that sound smart? Also on a side note, I have my valve cover gasket replaced (at a different place) a few weeks back, but I am not sure if they didnt do it at all and said they did, or maybe didnt tighten it down enough, becasue it appears to still be leaking and also the shop that checked my AC said it doesnt appear to have been replaced. Is there a way I can confirm this so I can have an idea of what I am talking about if/when I go and tear them a new one for shafting me.

mrles
    from what i read it sounds like your compressor is (like you said is shot) time for another one

cassie m
    well unless you have the tools or the shop has teh tools to replace teh brearings then you need to replace teh whole compressor. most shops have the tools to do it but it would cost more to replace the bearings tehn it would to replace teh whole thing. plus most shops cant guarentee that the compressor will be good. so best bet is to buy a compressor off ebay for like 200 bucks. they have a 12 month 12000 mile warranty. buy one new from napa and thats about the best warranty youll get.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information