Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I plan to fulfill my life long dream to own a Harley Davidson. Which model though?

I've always dreamed of a Springer but hear they are maintenance issues. My second choice is a Heritage Classic but the dealerships always push me toward a Road King because of my size and the claim that it is a better ride. Not sure if I'm getting pushed that way because of the higher costs. Can anyone share their experience with both models?

ugly joe
    There are only two things bad about the springer that I am aware of, the ride is a little stiffer, and they take a little longer to clean and polish. Both the Heritage and the Road King are nice bikes, If your plans are for mostly long trips (a thousand miles or more) the road king might be a little more comfortable. The Heritage would be fine for shorter trips and the occasional long trip.
    Just remember it's your money, the sales people want to make a sale, GET THE BIKE YOU WANT. They will sell it to you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have owned a 2007 softail and a 2009 touring model (Street Glide). I actually prefer the ride of the softail but realize I am probably a minority where that is concerned. I guess it depends on what type of riding you'll do. If you are going to tour you probably need a touring bike like the Road King. If you will just do an occasional long trip but mostly shorter to average rides the Heritage would be great. I didn't like the rubber mounted engine myself on the touring models. HD will let you test ride anything now, so just take a few out and see what you think. Before spending that much money you may even want to find a place that rents Harley's so you can try them out for a couple days at a time to get a really good feel for it. NBT, we all know you hate Harley's...give it a freakin' rest already. You sound like a f***king broken record.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    go sit on a few really you wil know once you butts in the seat

if you want a Springer then thats what you should get i have a sportster ive rode 12 years now have been across the states and back many times 80,000 miles its what you like dont let other pick for you go sit on a few you wil know whats right

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My rigid has a 12 over springer and, yeah it's something to keep it clean. Other than that, I like it, it suits me just fine.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My buddy loves his Heritage Classic, if that's what you like, then that's what you should get and if the dealer won't sell it to you change dealers !. Mind you, the Road King is a very popular model for a reason.

A long anecdote to illustrate how my personnal experience has been the diametric opposite of @ninebadthings'. For most of my life, I believed and told my share of "Hardly-Ableson" jokes. But two years ago I sold my elderly Kawa Voyager XII(160,000 on the odo) and was looking for something my wife and I could ride two-up to supplement my Triumph cafe-racer solo bike. Part of the brief was that the bike had to have a light controls because advancing ostheo-artritis in both wrists makes heavy clutches and throttles just too painful to operate for any length of time. Anyway, I read that the then-new HD's had new clutches that were remarkably light, so I figured I'd do the open-minded thing and signed-up for a demo ride. As it happens, I first road-tested a Honda GoldWing. I thougth this bike was an engineering triumph, but remarkably boring to ride. Then I rode the Ultra Classic. What a revelation ! light controls, great comfort and a wonderful mechanical presence that makes it clear that you are riding a motorcycle and not riding an Accord ! I ordered a new '07 Ultra-Classic the same week and have never looked back. The bike now has 32000kms on the odo and has been perfectly reliable. It still always makes me look for the long way home. This is a wonderful bike.

My free advice to you: If you like Harleys, get a Harley and don't let anyone sell you a model you don't want. Enjoy yourself.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had the same dream a year ago and have now had 2 harleys,a vrod and a fatboy, and ridden just about every current model. If you like the springer, get the springer, unless you are like me and are averse to polishing chrome all day. If you are deciding between the road king and the heritage, just choose the bike that is most comfortable for you and your riding needs. The heritage is a little smaller and will handle itself better than a road king, but if you put lots of miles on and do long rides regularly, go for the road king. I have to admit though, I ended up selling my harley in favor of a victory kingpin, and im not looking back. If you haven't ridden a Victory, do yourself a favor and ride one, then decide which is a better bike. Every single person who I know who has owned or currently owns a Harley who has ridden my Vic has bought one after riding it. For me, it was the dream bike I never knew existed, maybe its the same for you. Good luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Springers are for old STYLE choppers and not ride quality.
    Even HD a very traditional company has not made a springer in decades.
    There is very little difference between $20,000 and $22,000 over a 5 year payout.
    Get the the one you WANT or bitch every time you get on the wrong one.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the ride on the touring chassis is much better.The Road Kings and the Electraglides have the best ride of anything Harley makes.If your planning on long distance trips the touring chassis bikes are the way to go.If your just getting one to ride around on get the one you like the most.I test rode a Heritage because i like the looks of them but i didn't like the bike.I have owned two Electraglides though(a 92 and a 2002 which i still have).Had a Dyna wide glide too.The dresser hands down is the most comfortable.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the ride on the touring chassis is much better.The Road Kings and the Electraglides have the best ride of anything Harley makes.If your planning on long distance trips the touring chassis bikes are the way to go.If your just getting one to ride around on get the one you like the most.I test rode a Heritage because i like the looks of them but i didn't like the bike.I have owned two Electraglides though(a 92 and a 2002 which i still have).Had a Dyna wide glide too.The dresser hands down is the most comfortable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information