Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    brushyfor

2001 toyota solara. Timing belt went and we had the valves done, new water

pump,cylinder head all replaced.? One day later the car won't idle. It will start and then just die. The mechanics are jerking me around and I'm ready to lose it. What could be the problem, and what can I do about the mechanics.

Munkstump
    Oh yes, the invincible Toyota I keep hearing about. Well, maybe your mechanic just didn't fix it properly.
    Since you had all of these things replaced, I am assuming you have an interference motor. That means the tolerances are so small, that the piston could hit the valve, when the timing belt breaks.
    Unfortunately, there is a possibility the valves could also be struck if the timing is set improperly.
    I hope for you this is not the case. Chances are, if it is not just slightly out-of-timing, it's just a vacuume leak somewhere.
    All cars break belts, regardless of manufacturer.

nick T
    Engine needs to be timed valves not opening when they need to.

Anthony T
    on some no tolerance engines, if the belt goes, it usually bends valves and can damage pistons or other. If the head was repaired/replaced and the block components are ok, there is no reason whatsoever that a big job like that would not restore the engine to it's proper performance. I can only say that the most likely cause would be improper intallation of either timing components, or peripheral compnents dislocated from the head or possibly collapsed lifter(s) if break-in was not precise. The odds of a non-related failure coincidental at this particular time is very very slim.

I would hope they replaced all exposed components in timing area. pulleys, tensioner, sprockets, any timing belt driven pumps etc...

It could also be that something was overlooked. If they did the timing properly, I would hope it would be wither a ignition, fuel, emission component problem such as forgetting to plug in a harness connector or actually breaking a sensor, voltage spike to PCM, snapping plastic vacuum hose or misrouting a solenoid or other vacuum activated component.

If they don't fix it properly, document everything and write your State Attorney General with the complaint.

Hmmm
    how fast where you going when the belt went? that means a lot in if the car is worth fixing. if you where on the highway i'd say put a new engine in if you where around 25 mph i'd say they fixed it and it's possibly a tooth out of time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information