Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A clicking or 'chattering' relay usually means the battery is weak, but if you are sure the battery is good, then you could try removing the starter and bench testing it. If the starter has worked ok since your hung starter problem last year then I wouldn't expect that that has caused any issues.
    To check the relay, try disconnecting the positive (starter) wire from your starter motor. This will remove any load from the battery when attempting to crank. If the relay clicks once as you push the start button and does not 'chatter', then the relay is probably ok.
    For the bench test use a healthy battery and connect the battery negative to the main casing of the starter motor and connect the battery positive to the positive terminal on the starter motor. Hold the starter in a vice if you have one, or put your foot on it. If it turns then your starter is probably ok. If not, then the starter has probably had it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 1980 kz440 Kawasaki. How can I tell if the starter relay is bad or

the actual starter? All I get i? All I get is a clicking sound from the relay switch when I push the start button. I tried checking to see if it would crank by touching the post with a screwdriver and got nothing not even a spark. It will start by pushing off in second gear.Last year the starter hung while I was starting it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A clicking or 'chattering' relay usually means the battery is weak, but if you are sure the battery is good, then you could try removing the starter and bench testing it. If the starter has worked ok since your hung starter problem last year then I wouldn't expect that that has caused any issues.
    To check the relay, try disconnecting the positive (starter) wire from your starter motor. This will remove any load from the battery when attempting to crank. If the relay clicks once as you push the start button and does not 'chatter', then the relay is probably ok.
    For the bench test use a healthy battery and connect the battery negative to the main casing of the starter motor and connect the battery positive to the positive terminal on the starter motor. Hold the starter in a vice if you have one, or put your foot on it. If it turns then your starter is probably ok. If not, then the starter has probably had it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your relay is clicking, it is probably good. When you hit your start switch, 12V goes to the relay. The relay will then switch (click) and the current from your battery will go to the starter. You can test a relay with a multimeter. But I'd be willing to bet you need a new starter if your relay is clicking and your primary isn't moving at all. You can buy starter rebuild kits for a cheaper price.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your relay is clicking, it is probably good. When you hit your start switch, 12V goes to the relay. The relay will then switch (click) and the current from your battery will go to the starter. You can test a relay with a multimeter. But I'd be willing to bet you need a new starter if your relay is clicking and your primary isn't moving at all. You can buy starter rebuild kits for a cheaper price.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information