Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Ne'er Dowell

The use of bicycle gears?

Hey guys,

I've never really understood the use of gears on a bicycle as the last time I've ridden I was 7.

So, do I use lower or higher gears when I'm cycling on flat, smooth roads? Similarly, do I use lower or higher gears when I'm going uphill?

Also, what do derailleurs do?

Thanks for your help!

wle atlanta
    'lower'=easier to pedal=better for up hills

'higher'=you go faster=better for flats or down hills

the derailleurs [front and back] move the chain to different cogs[back] or chainrings [front], thus producing the different 'gears'

a 'gear' is actually a pair -
    one front and one rear
    that combination produces a 'gear' or ratio

gears are like levers for wheels and legs

wle.

kipper
    Derailleurs, move (derails) the chain from one cog to another. You don't say how many gears you have on your bike, so I will assume it is 21. That means you have 3 chain rings where your pedals are and 7 gear cogs at your back wheel. If that is the case (or close to that), put your chain on the middle chain ring and the middle cog at the back and you will be OK for riding on the flat. If you come to a hill change the rear gear onto the next biggest cog, you should pedal up the hill easier. When going down hill move the rear gear on to a smaller cog and you should be able to go faster and still be able to pedal. You could do what my Wife does when going down hill, freewheel. Hope that helps, you will get there, just keep trying.

intrepidfae
    The use of bicycle gears is all about the difference in size between the front and the rear gears. Using a small gear up front with a large gear in the back gives you a lot of power but not much speed, good for going up hills. Using a large gear in the front with a small gear in the back gives you a lot of speed but not much power, good for going down hills. The left shifter works with the front derailleur to move the chain from one front gear to another. The right shifter works with the rear derailleur to move the chain from one back gear to another. To start, put everything in the middle. Shift from one back gear to another as your terrain changes. When you run out of back gears, change a front gear. This is a simplification, but enough to get you going.

HTH

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information