Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    plumpilicious

Have you ever fallen for an anime character?

Anime is a story like any other but lest constrained by physical details and opinionated audiences. But the only real parts behind anime characters, are the artist that draws them and the voice that tells their story. Even still I have found that one anime character of the opposite sex stands out to me more than any other. For me, it is Marlene Angel from Blue Gender. I know the more than casual anime watcher can name a couple characters that really stand out, but one more than any others that you would spend your time with in life, if bearing in mind that character was, of course, real. I was curious how many of you have found this to be the case with you.

Begin criticism now.....

plumpilicious

Have you ever fallen for an anime character?

Anime is a story like any other but lest constrained by physical details and opinionated audiences. But the only real parts behind anime characters, are the artist that draws them and the voice that tells their story. Even still I have found that one anime character of the opposite sex stands out to me more than any other. For me, it is Marlene Angel from Blue Gender. I know the more than casual anime watcher can name a couple characters that really stand out, but one more than any others that you would spend your time with in life, if bearing in mind that character was, of course, real. I was curious how many of you have found this to be the case with you.

Begin criticism now.....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No... I can't really say I've ever fallen in love head over heels towards ink on paper...

At best, I might've come across a situation that was like "I like this character's certain quality. Wish I found that in someone I know." Or whatever...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No... I can't really say I've ever fallen in love head over heels towards ink on paper...

At best, I might've come across a situation that was like "I like this character's certain quality. Wish I found that in someone I know." Or whatever...

Blackpeppir
    I wasn't really aware that people could "fall for" a drawing. I mean like stable people who aren't touched in the head or something. You always hear about exaggerated cases that crop up every now and then, like the man in Japan petitioning the government to allow him to legally marry Mikuru Asahina of Haruhi fame, but aside from that I always thought it was just sort of a knee jerk stereo type that comes out when people mention the more hardcore otaku. That being said, sure there are certain qualities that make some characters more endearing than others. Sort of like comparing a character like Senjougahara to one of the random moe blobs that have been churned out over the years. But that's just writing, which is why I can't say I've ever felt any sort of an attraction towards fictional characters, because they aren't real.

Blackpeppir
    I wasn't really aware that people could "fall for" a drawing. I mean like stable people who aren't touched in the head or something. You always hear about exaggerated cases that crop up every now and then, like the man in Japan petitioning the government to allow him to legally marry Mikuru Asahina of Haruhi fame, but aside from that I always thought it was just sort of a knee jerk stereo type that comes out when people mention the more hardcore otaku. That being said, sure there are certain qualities that make some characters more endearing than others. Sort of like comparing a character like Senjougahara to one of the random moe blobs that have been churned out over the years. But that's just writing, which is why I can't say I've ever felt any sort of an attraction towards fictional characters, because they aren't real.

PetrifiedJello
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackpeppir
    ...because they aren't real.
    They're not? Then explain your reference to Senjougahara to other "moe blobs".

The fact you specifically named one character makes her real. Granted, it's not real in the sense you can physically meet this cartoon character, but rest assured she is "real".

If we remove the supernatural/magical/unreal elements of a character, these people are indeed real. We meet them every day.

The mannerisms, attitudes, and emotions are no different than the person sitting next to you.

So while this "attraction" debate continues, it's not impossible to "fall" for an anime character.

Because one isn't falling for the drawing as much as they are about the mannerisms of the character.

And if anyone here thinks they can't do that, they're only lying to themselves. There's always that one (or more, maybe) anime character's mannerisms we wish [picture girl here] had.

Now that I've cleared this up, the mannerisms I've been attracted to in anime are:
    Asa (Shuffle!) - Because I once knew a girl just like her.

Wirlhelmenia (Shana) - So logical and straight-to-the-fact. No emotion issues with this one.

Shiori (Kanon) - Yep, knew one like her too. What really impressed me about this one was how damn honest the character was to herself, just like the girl I knew in real life.

Well, that's all for now. This was fun.

PetrifiedJello
    ...because they aren't real.
    They're not? Then explain your reference to Senjougahara to other "moe blobs".

The fact you specifically named one character makes her real. Granted, it's not real in the sense you can physically meet this cartoon character, but rest assured she is "real".

If we remove the supernatural/magical/unreal elements of a character, these people are indeed real. We meet them every day.

The mannerisms, attitudes, and emotions are no different than the person sitting next to you.

So while this "attraction" debate continues, it's not impossible to "fall" for an anime character.

Because one isn't falling for the drawing as much as they are about the mannerisms of the character.

And if anyone here thinks they can't do that, they're only lying to themselves. There's always that one (or more, maybe) anime character's mannerisms we wish [picture girl here] had.

Now that I've cleared this up, the mannerisms I've been attracted to in anime are:
    Asa (Shuffle!) - Because I once knew a girl just like her.

Wirlhelmenia (Shana) - So logical and straight-to-the-fact. No emotion issues with this one.

Shiori (Kanon) - Yep, knew one like her too. What really impressed me about this one was how damn honest the character was to herself, just like the girl I knew in real life.

Well, that's all for now. This was fun.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Topic previously discussed in the following threads:

Crushes on anime characterse: Is it possible? (Dec 2008)

Crush on an anime boy or girl? (Aug 2005 - May 2006)

Don't let that stop the discussion, but read the previous threads first. Maybe somebody said something worth noting?

- abunai

Annf
    I wasn't really aware that people could "fall for" a drawing. I mean like stable people who aren't touched in the head or something.
    I find it amusing that anyone can still think this way in the midst of the Twilight phenomenon. It seems clear that people can easily crush on fictional characters in the same way as idols/celebrities, and in fact do so in large numbers. (Go read the Shugo Chara! forums on Crunchyroll and count the number of girls swooning over Ikuto. It's not a small number.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information