Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Data Plans Will be Required For Feature Phones

Verizon Wireless is making a few changes to their plan requirements within the coming days.

The changes below will only effect V CAST Video and/or Mobile TV Feature Phone devices. Basically any device that was capable of having the V CAST V-Pack

Starting September 8, Verizon Wireless will no longer be offering unlimited megabytes/data with the V CAST V-Pack for feature phones. It is said that the V CAST V-Pack pricing will be lowered to $10. They will begin to offer data plans for feature phones. The plans are below:

• $9.99 per month for 25MB
    • $19.99 per month for 75MB

If you look at the amount of megabytes above, it is reasonable...but slightly expensive. 25MB is enough megabytes for 85% of Verizon Wireless Feature Phone Users. Feature phones use data, but not as extensively. While browsing Mobile Web on a feature phone, 100 pages of web browsing is about 1MB. The average application download is 2-5MB.

Will these data plans be optional? No. The Samsung Rogue and the Samsung Intensity will require one of these plans OR be activated on a connect or premium plan. Both of these devices will be launched September 8. It hasn't been stated whether all future feature phones will require this data plan but it is certain phones launched before September 8 are all clear and will not require them.

So, what do you think?

[Mobile Roar]

benjamin_chu

Personally, I think it blows. Do you think they can possibly get any more money out of us. Like they weren't getting enough already. Greedy Bast****.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In ways, it makes sense.

1) They make more money
    2) they can put customers on "unified plans", thus making customers less likely to call customer service about billing oddities.
    3) most people use feature phones for their features. Verizon's studies have shown that the average customer (95% of them) spends $14 per month on the $1.99 per megabyte fee for data. Customers could actually SAVE MONEY.

However, I still feel customers should have the choice. Yes, offering these data plans without the V CAST V-Pack is actually a very good idea. For years, I have wanted a data plan that was slightly cheaper that V CAST V-Pack...but I don't want to be forced to have it if I don't feel I need it.

Also, I guarantee carriers like AT&T will follow in the future. Verizon Wireless usually sets the industry standard. Just like AT&T is going to begin to require a data plan on PDAs/Blackberrys...like Verizon started 9 months ago.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now with these new changes will it be possible to cancel my contract?

Eric

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It won't effect you or your phone at this moment.

It may be true that the V CAST V-Pack changes may only be for subscribers who get a new phone after Sept. 8 and not effect current ones until they upgrade.

All Verizon Wireless contracts are valid completely until the end of the agreement, they state that pricing and other changes may occur with or without notice during the duration of your contract. You cannot cancel it without penalty.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think this whole idea is terrible.
    If it is really really really true then I will probably have to switch from Verizon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Data Packages Data Package - 75 MB $19.99/month Data Package - 25 MB $9.99/month
    Verizon Wireless has made the change...

Not sure exactly how this will impact me, but it doesn't necessarily make me happy.

The V CAST V-Pack pricing is now lower, respectively.

V CAST Videos On Demand $10.00/month
    All of the above was copied and pasted right from my account at VerizonWireless.com. Oh, by the way...it is no longer called the V Cast V-Pack.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

HA!!! I have just made a collosal mistake...I neglected to scroll down the thread and read the above post before cancelling the vpack and adding the 25MB $10 data plan b/c I though if I kept the vpack they would start charging me per MB of usage....I am so stupid..I could have continued to have UNLIMITED web usage AND all my vcast videos for $15 whereas now I have to pay $20 if I want both and even then I still have the 25MB cap!!

moral to this story....READ THE WHOLE THREAD!!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I upgraded to the samsung intensity and had to add the pack too, found out after the fact...bummer.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just for information.
    For some reason this dose not apply to prepaid phone that have vcast or html broswers. Also, some of those phone that require data plan can be use on pageplus. Pageplus does have data. Some phones work and other don't. I don't know which do and with don't.

The only problem is if you switch to pageplus, people still on verizon won't be considered mobile to mobile. Verizon inpulse does allow mobile to mobile but does not have a good data package or unlimited service to my knowledge. Certain post paid phones can not be used on inpulse. I don't know which do and with don't.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information