Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C50 or C50T?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

Hey everyone,

I had a question for the Boulevard owners out there. What I'm looking for is a nice comfy bike that'll take me from Seattle to Portland, and Seattle to the Olympic Peninsula for camping trips. From various threads, it seems like the optimal bike for me is the straight up C50 (not T, just regular). 2008 model year has a wonderful blue model:

I'm wanting to outfit it like the T, but I hear among other things that stock seats (on the T) are not so good for the tailbone. Planning to replace existing seat combination with some Mustang seats, and add Leatherlyke bags; although they're not listed for that model year, I'm hopeful the dealer will have something to fit. Perhaps something other than the stock horn; I'm not sure how loud it is. I'm thinking as long as it's advisable to replace stock, I may as well not pay for the T options up front when I'm planning on swapping them out.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Am I better going for the T straight up?

Also, a couple more questions:

1) Is there any type of catalytic converter on this bike? If so, does anyone know if it'll interfere with Saddlebag placement? I'm thinking mostly of the upcoming 2010 emissions cap (2.5g/km), which I don't want to run afoul of, but even beyond that, the cleaner I can make it, the better.

2) Does the C50 have enough power on the highway? How about with two people and luggage on board?

3) Can anyone recommend a dealer in Seattle (or surrounding) whom they've had good experience?

Thanks for any advice!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

If you are going to be replacing a bunch of things, you may want to do some comparisons, such as adding the cost of the passenger backrest, windshield, plus the mustang seat and saddlebags to the C50 vs just having to swap out the seat and bags on the C50T.

Not sure about the catalytic converter.

The C50 has plenty of power on the highway, even 2 up.

And finally, no recommendations on a dealer in the Seattle area.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

If you choose a C50T, then you better like black and white-sidewall tires. If you want your blue, then the choice is already made. Personally, I think black is a HD cop-out and a non-color. I can't stand WSW tires. So, that means the "T" is out. I don't like spoke-wheels, so I chose a "Limited Edition" model that had alloy wheels, just my thing, you may differ.

If you are jazzed about an 08 model, then you better have the wallet out or financing, or whatever. A used 07 or 06 will be a lot less, possibly with under a 1000 miles - I got mine at 890 miles. A dealer will add CRAP like "freight", DOCUMENTS, prep, and so on. The DOCUMENTS part is pure BS, all you need is a bill of sale or a transfered title - or if it is NEW, a "MSO", -"Manufacturers Statement of Origin". which precludes all the stealership CRAP and you can get it licenesed anywhere in the 50 states.

The muffler stuff went into effect in 06, so the bikes are as clean as they are going to be for a while. Fuel Injection will make sure of that. If you screw with "Loud Pipes", then you screw up a lot more than your eardrums. Nothing like a "good diplomat" for motorcycles to everyone else.... Just tell me if you come this way and I will wear ear-muffs and close the doors. If you buy a carb model (like a Honda for example) they will have to make some big changes soon.

The 800 C50 has great power. It is the equivalent of riding a Yam VStar 1100, but is more modern. If you are an American Porker, then you have problems no matter what. I should also add that if the 2nd-up is also a Porker then you compound the problem. Mass and weight - SURPRISE- do add up. Sorry, I do not go in for "political correctness". Fat is just FAT. If you don't like it, loose it.

Other than that, there is a great final drive conversion from a C90 over on Volusiariders dot com that makes cruising even better. Many people wish for a "6th" gear or at least lower RPM at highway speeds. Check it out. There is a great backrest-luggage rack combo at cruiserbackrest dot com that is only $219 - and looks good. The seat can be fixed a little w/o spending big bucks for a Mustang. BTW, Nevada has thousands of mustangs for sale...you might have to modify one to fit....

Jaffrum makes some low cost bags, or go to Leather Mall dot com - same, if you are on a budget. Sounds like an oxymoron to me - a bike is never a budget concious decision. You can buy an A/C auto Toyota Corolla for the same amount and carry 4 people, but that is another thought argument. You can add a Windshield of your choice and then have all the stuff.

Anyway, pay your money and take your chances, give it your best shot. YMMV.

eta moi dva roubles

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

IF you were to add all the accessories the "T" comes with, AFTER you buy the C50, you're looking at over 2000.00 to buy the parts, NEW, at the dealer, and have them installed.

Lemme show you a cheaper (not much) way, and these are even FAIR Ebay Prices:
    eBay - SUZUKI BOULEVARD, Parts Accessories, Motorcycles items on eBay.com

You can verify the prices with that search!

OE Large Windshield: $180.00
    OE Studded Seats: $280.00
    OE Back Rest Mount Brackets: $80.00
    OE Backrest, Swivel & Studded Pad: $349.00
    OE Driver Platforms: $200.00
    OE Heel/Toe Shifter: $120.00
    OE Semi hard Traditional Saddle Bags: $500.00
    OE Saddlebag Supports: $90.00

These are all NEW parts, and the saddlebag supports for the ridged bags are a little thicker than the others, so, there you have at least: $1799 in extras, when you pay a little more than 1000.00 for the C50T, vs the C50.

The C50 is about 6600/6700 NEW, the C50T is about 7900...

Plus you have installation fees if you do not do it. If you were to buy all those parts those at the STEALERSHIP, then you would be paying more! Ebay is where you can get the stuff, but I paid the 1000.00 more to have it on already.

I Got a C50T, and it is VERY nice, even Harley people look it over a few times. Remove all the Suzuki tags, and people won't have a clue.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

Aron,
    Well welcome to the Journal. First let me say that I hope you get the MSF training.
    As for the C50 or the C50t...I did what you are planning. I paid 6147.00 for a leftover 05 C50 black. I then added the Suzuki windshield, T style back rest from Suzuki with out studs as the seat had none. Saddle bags and thier supports. It cost me about 800.00 I think. Since then I have added the passenger boards and a Mustang seat. I know that thier are other people who will modify your seat and that is a good thng maybe. Everybodys butt is different. Mustang has it down toa science. I have done 400 mile days 2 up with no problems. The stock seat gave my wife major issues. Check with Eric or Davve at Extreme Suzuki or Onidiea Suzuki in Ny. Extreame has better customer service so if I need stuff I would go though them. Onidia is the pitts for costomer service. Both have disent prices though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

First off welcome to the forums. As far as the standard vs. touring go, I had the same dilemma and decided for the standard for the same reasons other members mentioned. You can pick the accessories you like and build your own touring machine.

About a month ago I went to Hinshaws Motorcycle Store
    in Auburn, WA. (A member recommended this store. My wife and I were so surprised [read pissed off] at the prices; i.e. we paid $ 600+ Canadian for the Shoei RF-1000 helmets and the same helmets are around $ 350 American there) They can order any Suzuki accessories and parts for you.

For the model, I'm kind of more inclined to the latest because they sometimes introduce upgrades and one cannot know how they store the left over bikes.

It's the journey not the destination, enjoy the whole experience.

Safe rides!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

:welcomes: I was like you. Then decided on the "T". Just thought I may as well get the things I wanted from the get go. That and the fact that I don't care to wrench on stuff much anymore. I couldn't be happier. Good luck either way.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

Yes there is a sizable "savings" if you buy the "T" with OEM parts. There are add-ons that are as good, better, or different from OE parts at a fraction of the cost. I am unable to fathom how 2 saddle bags can be $500. There simply is not enough there to warrant the "price". No one seems to mind "Mustang" seats, so the OEM "plus" or "minus" (depending upon your thinking) stigma is worthless.

These parts and pieces are not rocket science, you can add them yourself quite easily. Most of them are only a few nuts and bolts to do. Take a look at what others have on their bikes, then ask where they got the parts. Do some research and you will learn a lot about all sorts of things for your bike.

The only difference in the 07 model is a fuel guage - not present on 05 and 06. This is the reason for 2 trip Odo's - one for the trip and the other for the gas tank. I admit I'd like a gas guage, but it is not a big enough difference for me. Color choice and wheels mean more to me. If a "used" bike looks like it was taken care of it will be quite apparant from first glance. Does the owner have records of service, oil changes, is it clean, what does the oil look like in the glass, etc. A bike is pretty small, so you can check a lot of this stuff quite closely.

I have not studied the 08 yet, but there may be a difference - but it will be slight. Most dealers that I have seen still keep "the old stock" 06, now maybe the 07 models on the showroom floor. They don't want these things getting beat up.

eta moi dva roubles

ps- the Limited Edition does not have tank badges, just the name on the back fender and a little emblem under the speedo. I am proud of what Suzuki offers and made this choice for my $$. HD can take a flying ----------- for all I care. See elsewhere for other HD "parts and repair" problems...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

Hi Aron,
    I have the 2005 C50T and love it. I would choose the C50T over the C50, the extra cost is minimal when you compare how much it would cost to purchase the parts aftermarket. I'm 220 lbs and ride with my wife who is 140 lbs and the bike has plenty of power.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C50 or C50T?

If you have great upper strength, then get the C50.. just riding against the wind can get very tiring. If your going to add all the goodies yourself, might as well get the T. Haggle just a little and you might save a few bucks...!!:bluethum:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information