Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dog Bylaws in Downtown Vancouver, BC apartments?

I live in the West End area of downtown Vancouver in an apartment that allows One dog (or cat) per unit that weighs under 15 pounds. However, there is a lady in my apartment that has an extremely obvious problem with dogs. I usually try to be understanding but tonight really got me angry.

I was in the parking lot of my building trying to teach myself how to skateboard. I then heard a car coming so I moved away from where the car usually parks to give them room. They parked, and just as the couple were getting out of their car, my dog barked and the woman immediately jumped back into her car. I then realized that she was the woman that was afraid of dogs because of her religion. I held my dog back as she came out of the car furious that he was not on a leash. Dont get me wrong, my dog has been on the leash everytime I take him out since a few months ago when she complained about me. I have never been rude to her and have always respected her religion which is why it angered me when she went off about it being "the last time" she "warns" me about this issue.

It was 1am in the morning and the last thing I expected was for someone to be coming into the parking lot.

SO after all this background information, is there anything she can do to get rid of me or my dog? Im not going to test her, I'm just curious. The bylaws of my building say that Owners are allowed one dog or cat and renters are not allowed anything. I own my apartment and only have one dog so I am not breaking any rules by having him in the apartment. That's all I know. Are there any laws or bylaws I should know about? Ive read all the other things about dogs with violent tendencies but my dog is a bigger Pomeranian so no worried there! (:

Thabks guys! Really appreciate any help on this or how to sort things out with this lady. No, talking like civilized people is not an option. And no, i dont think she'll move out ):

Also, if your only advice is to leash my dog at all times, I'm already doing that. (:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hey, i live in the west end too :O) and i would suggest if you live in a condo that you follow the rules to a T ... because it has been my experience living in a condo, it is almost like a co-op, in that some people have too much time on their hands and can and will make things difficult for people ... my condo warned me for allowing my dog to urinate on the sidewalk ... hmmm, last time i checked it was a public sidewalk that does not belong to my building, and urinating on a sidewalk is not illegal ... but you should for sure keep your dog on a leash ... she could get you with that ... because not only is that probably a strata council rule, it is the law in vancouver ... and i also lived in a building where one woman had a serious phobia of dogs ... i was polite and respectful, i would pick up my dog whenever i saw her so the woman would feel less afraid ... IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE ... if a person has a phobia nothing will help them but therapy ... which means leash up your dog and pretend that woman does not exist ... if she wants to jump into her car when you are walking your leashed dog by, let her ... i would not be polite (i would not be impolite, i just would not go out of my way to be polite to this woman) because it makes no difference ...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, she could potentially claim that you do not leash your dog at all times, since he wasn't on a leash in the incident that you described...even if you have leashed him at all other times. Under section 4 of the Vancouver animal bylaws act, it does state that a dog must be in control AND leashed at all times (not coming down on you about this...just pointing out what she could technically argue). Whether or not she would have a case based on one incident, I'm not sure. If there has been more than one incident, and if she filed a complaint, then she might have a case. Condos usually have strict regulations and will enforce rules; if you have a written set of regulations concerning your apartment, check them to see what it says about pets and the disturbance of other owners/tenants.

All I can really suggest is that the next time you see this woman (if you don't have your dog with you), approach her and apologize profusely, letting her know that you realize she is frightened of your dog and you absolutely respect that...and that you will do all you can to keep him away from her, and on a leash. Sometimes people with fears of dogs will become irrational and extremely angry, and will be quick to accuse. If you can let her know that you sympathize and understand that your dog frightens her (doesn't even have to be a justified fear...just let her know you understand), then being as nice to her as you can might be the best way to approach it. Even if she does make you angry with her responses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information