Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Essential software for T3

I have gotten my new T3. What would you say is the most essential software in the following catagories:

Utillities such as:
    memory managers
    Back up software
    memory card managers
    Any other utility software that you would recommend
    PIM software
    Contact management software
    office programs like:
    spreadsheets
    word processors
    presentation
    database
    email
    Calculators
    games

And anything else you would recommend

Thanks

Rob

You can find all these things at PalmGear.com

Utilities (Free)-
    File Manager- Filez
    Backup - BackupBuddyVFS:Free

Documents To Go for all Word Processing/Spreadsheet (on your T3 CD)

Games-
    MicroMachines like racing- Dreamway
    Awesome game still- Bejeweled

I would recommend to spend the very reasonable price to buy the full version of BackupBuddyVFS, or maybe rather BackupMan, as it can be practical to be able to restore single files instead of doing a full restore. The price is not high.
    To enchance the calender function (although the T3 calender is vastly improved) I recommend DateBook5. It will make everything much easier to overlook at one glance, especially in Week-view og month-view.
    You can download a trial version and use it for more than one month - I bought mine after about two days!
    Otherwise I second the choice of Filez, is is great.

The free version of BackupBuddy doesn't seem to be around any more. Does anyone have a copy? Or should I really buy the latest version?

Yes it appears to have gone doesn't it. They now have a "lite" version, which I guess replaces the free one:
    http://www.bluenomad.com/bbvfs/prod_bbvfs_download.html

is there any open source backup software? I can't seem to find any.

It is beyond me that anyone would shell out $400 for a Tungsten T3, but risk losing all their data (and especially being away from the PC) on an inferior backup program.

jkware's CadBackup is around $11-12. Two lattes at Starbucks. It has resolved some "files that shouldn't be backed up" concerning the new PIMS on the T3.

A free utility that DOES NOT DO THAT will not restore properly and leave you in a very bad place. I tested CardBackup on two hard resets and it was flawless. Consider spending $11 on CardBackup (www.jkware.com) and making it up somewhere else. Likewise, TealMover is $12 - but Filez is okay and in fact does a couple of things TealMover doesn't. I use both, along with SysTool (freeware). What TealMover brings to the party is the ability to move multiple files at once, a GREAT interface, and the ability (nothing else out there gives you) to boost the amount of dynamic heap/stack memory an app requests when it opens and also to store "raw data." See the manual.

The time to save is on perhaps "skipping a keyboard," not buying 5 "ultra neat stylus pens (styli?), and perhaps skipping a game or two if you're "game-inclined." The time to save is NOT messing around with an inferior backup utility, free or otherwise. As far as a file manager, I have been able to do things with TealMover I couldn't do with the PC and a Card Reader, and do it easier and faster.

CardBackup, I might mention, has in addition to my two tests also restored two other times in an actual "emergency;" both of those were flawless as well. VFS has had problems restoring certain files on the T3 and the free version does not allow selective file backup. I hear a lot of suport for BackupMan - that might be worth considering too although I haven't used it. I like CardBackup because it backs up automatically to as many as EIGHT different backups, and all of them can be timed to a certain part of the day. I use 5AM and 5PM, the 5AM set to "auto shutoff." It performs its duties in less than 8 seconds.

Is your information worth less than $11? It will be if you can't get it back. I'm ALL for freeware and some of it is better than the commercial rip-off junk we're being fed from time to time . . . but on certain things (file moving and backup!!) I just wouldn't take the chance.

Think about it!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I use quite a lot of opensource/free software with no problems and if i can find a opensource or free backup (or any other) program that works then i'll use it. I'd like to try one before I have to shell out for one that may or may not be better.

My time isn't so valuable that I can't experiment with various programs.

That's fine . . I'm a HUGE proponent of freeware/open source stuff (a lot of it is just plain BETTER, like TextSync, TomCatalog, DateDiff and so many others) . . . I was responding initially to RobPM's post requesting ideas for backup programs; that post never mentioned "freeware." I would propose "bestware" for something as critical as having your data intact or not.

My only concern (for YOUR welfare, actually) was that you need a backup program almost IMMEDIATELY as a safeguard and it had better work. "Shopping" is fine for databases, spreadsheets, word processors, calendars and what have you -- not an option for backing up EVERYTHING. I was let down by BU Buddy VFS with the T3 PIMS and have read extensively WHY the problems happen - I wouldn't risk it. I also want TIMED backups lest I "get busy," and the option of selected files if I choose.

"Backing up" Is the ONE thing I wouldn't hesitate a day on - A lot of us on here (and hopefully not you) have had the proverbial "seat stainer" where something just goes kaput. That's too late for the "right backup." There is NO freeware backup I would trust and whatever program you get HAD BETTER NOT back up certain files which are encrypted and become CORRUPT (there are several articles on this, the latest at Pimlico) causing a FAILED restore of your data. Okay?

You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. Good luck.

Addendum: I am editing this post because it read back to me as a little harsh. I don't mean to be harsh. But the thought of someone losing their data BOTHERS me, and whatever you find out there, please TEST it with a hard reset to make sure. Believe it or not, I actually CARE about your data and don't want you with the wrong thing. That's all. Take care and I hope you find something terrific in your search.

man, you're clearly very passionate about these things! ;-)

My sd card is ordered but as yet hasn't been delivered. When it is i'll be trying the various suggestions (if they have free trials) and see how they work.

I was prompted to ask about backup because my t3 suddenly decided to hard reset itself when i put it in the cradle the other day - as you describe, it was very stressful!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information